Saturday, 3 August 2013

Working without the aid of a safety net.. but with Pop Tarts

Shhh! Don't tell anyone but I have just read a book that has changed my life and most of my long held views about dieting and weight loss. The book is called 'Naturally Slim' by Dr Cherie Martin and is now out of print, but you know when you read something and it all just clicks and light bulbs are going off all around you? well that.

As you will know, I have been sharing my weight loss journey on this blog for a while now. Each week I meticulously plan out 3 meals and 2 snacks and my exercise. I loooooove exercise. I don't like Ryvita. It tastes like cardboard. Yet each week, I will eat it for my lunch. Then one day I spotted a book with yellowing pages that my sister had recommended. This book used to be found in the diet sections of all good bookshops which is ironic considering the main message is 'DIETS DON'T WORK'. I have tried every diet known to man, I have eaten up everything I considered to be 'bad food' in my cupboards on a Sunday night before commencing a new diet on a Monday morning. I have looked longingly at cake and chocolate, whilst feeling miserable as I am eating my Weight Watchers Soup which tastes worryingly odd to me. I have had a real craving for Kellogg Pop Tarts recently and yet every day, hour and minute I am ignoring what my body is asking for, and eating what a magazine thinks it should have and even at what time of day I should be having this food.

The book 'Naturally Slim' challenges you to stop dieting and to eat exactly what you want, when you want it. To be like a naturally slim person. It also explores the many emotional issues that surround food. It all just makes good sense.

And so I found myself in my supermarket, challenging to buy what I really wanted, what I really fancied to eat and the best thing? I was 'allowed' to eat it when I want. And so I bypassed the Ryvita and stocked up on Pop Tarts (strawberry flavour with the icing topping!), Mr Kipling French Fancies, Banana custard yogurts and some cherry jaffa cakes. I ate these when I fancied. As Chris was making a lovely nutritious tea, I was chowing down on a a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, because I really fancied it.

This all continued swimmingly and I was finding out more about what I really liked and when. I discovered that:
  • I actually don't feel hungry for breakfast in the morning. 
  • I can be a real picky eater - a true revelation. After making like Oscar the Grouch and treating my body like a bin, I have found I do not like sauces mixing, that beetroot joins celery as the food of the devil. 
  • I love white bread, but too much has ...ahem... an unfortunate reaction. That's all I'm going to say and will remain a secret between me and the pharmacist I had to see today.
But lo, on the second week what was this? I went to the supermarket and walked through the cake aisle and did not fancy any of it, same again with the chocolate and biscuit aisles. What did I want? Blinking juicy tomatoes and bananas that's what and nuts and yogurt with a bit of fruit, ooh and some carrots - raw. 

So now, I am going to carry on with this. The body is an amazing thing and knows what it wants. I am craving fruit and veg because that is what my body wants. But if I fancy a bar of Fruit and Nut, I will have it and thoroughly enjoy it. And the Pop Tarts? I had two, they were bloomin' yummy. The rest are still in the packet.

4 comments:

  1. First time on your Blog and I enjoyed it. Also scrolled down to the Park run one and I'm so happy I did. I'll find out where there are some local ones. I enjoy running and I'm planning to run a Marathon next Year.

    Regarding your Post , I whole heartedly agree with you. Diets never work. I'm glad you find a way to eat healthy and Slim down to whatever size is fitting for you. For me the emphasis is on Health the rest follows. I've seen my HBP plunging and I'm as fit as a fiddle by just tweaking a few habits. And I'm still eating Bread and Cakes:)
    By the way, I love your Bamboo Background on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miss Caroline,

    Don't you just love it when you read a book that has such an amazing impact on your life. I do! I see you have met Gertraud she is super speedy at running :)

    Just to say welcome to the challenge, you have a lovely blogging style and you are funny too, which is a sort after skills in the blogging world.

    Looking forward to reading more.

    Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline, I recently saw (and loved) a picture quote that said: "Everything in moderation; even moderation". I think perhaps it is human nature to want what we are told we cannot have. Good for you for moving past the Ryvita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline

    Why do we feel the need to diet?

    Is it not society telling us in order to be more attracting/feel more attracting/ to get a better type of partner etc you need to lose weight?

    I think part of weight loss is psychology.

    Psychology - exercise more - eat less..

    Is that not what 'THEY' say??

    William

    ReplyDelete