Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Book review - Mystery in White by J. Jefferson Farjeon

One of the things I thought it would be fun to do this year would be to track my reading. So I'm kicking off with Mystery in White by J Jefferson Farjeon, which I received at Christmas. The snowy weather outside made it a good book to read.

First off though, I have spotted my first snowdrops! Spring is nearly here. We spotted this outside the Spa hotel and Chris bravely scrambled up the bank to take this picture.






The plot concerns a group of travellers on a train, who become stranded due to heavy snowfall. They decide to try and walk to the next village and end up taking refuge in a deserted country house which has been lit and the table laid for tea, but which is completely empty. The travellers seek to unravel the mystery of the house and discover there is a murderer in their midst! 

The book was Ok, not brilliant and would be a good recommendation for fans of Agatha Christie. The book evokes the spirit and times of the 1930s, but my main issue is the book seemed confused as to whether it was a crime novel or a ghost story,and I wasn't 100% engaged with the characters. Still it was enjoyable and nice to read during a mini snowstorm of our own!


No comments:

Post a Comment