Tuesday, 21 April 2015

Let's Go Murphys!

One of my most favourite bands in the world are the Dropkick Murphys. They are a Boston Irish Punk band who mix traditional Irish songs with their own work with a punk twist thrown in. They are fab! The Dropkicks say they are the original party band, each show is individual and they work really hard to give their fans a great time at gigs. I've been wanting to see them live for ages and on my bucket list is to see the Dropkicks in Boston for St Patrick's Day. They do a number of sell out shows at the House of Blues and I would love to see them there. In the meantime.....



Yep we were off to Manchester to see them live. Whoop whoop! Now whenever I go to Manchester I always end up horrifically lost, I remember one time on king my way through a muddy field complete with hypodermic needles and used condoms to see The Offspring. (Don't ask!). So using directions given by my friend Lindsay we made it to see them. The 2 support bands were great although I did feel a bit like my mum when I said that the lead singer of one band should really put a pair of trousers on. (To be fair if I had a pair of pins like that, I would wear the hot pants and fish nets combo too) and then to chants of 'lets go Murphys' the band came on. And they were fab! I am a recent convert to the Dropkicks, so did not know all of the songs but there were many songs played that I love including my go to running song 'State of Massachusetts' (I have the live and album version on my running playlist), Rose Tattoo was my favourite song of the night, but Fields of Athenry came close. 


At the end of the evening, the Murphys invite the ladies to come up on stage to 'kiss me I'm shitfaced' for a singalong.  As you can see from the photo, we were too far back to make it to the front, and then the chaps went up for 'skinhead on the MBTA'. And all too soon it was the end of the show. On the way back to the car we heard the funniest conversation between two american men. It went something like this. 

"I don't think men should wear skirts if they are going to crowd surf"
"No"
"I mean seriously, I got some dude's junk in my face... It's just courtesy, you know" 

Haha. This made me and Chris giggle on the way back to the car. And on our journey home... We got blinking lost didn't we? We didn't mind after such a fab evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment