Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Book Review - The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

Karma is a funny thing at times. Today I was laughing so hard at something Chris had done (and which I can't tell you what he did, because he will kill me) that I fell over a fence and grazed all of my leg. haha! Serves me right!

Anyhoo, it's book review time. (Again!) The book I am going to review is not one of my usual reads, but I was fancying a change and thought I would give it a go. I was so pleased I did, it was excellent and I very much enjoyed this one. 



The book is set in 17th century Amsterdam and follows Nella, a young girl recently married to one of the wealthier merchants of Amsterdam. As she enters his house, she struggles to find her place there because of a nosy maid, foreign manservants and her husband's imposing sister. Her husband gives her a miniature dolls house and Nella sets about furnishing it using the skills of a miniaturist, who she never sees or meets, but who sends her realistic representations of Nella's home. Who is this mysterious miniaturist? How does she know so much about Nella and the household? 

I really enjoyed this book and it has really stayed with me since reading it. I enjoyed reading about the whole household and how a young girl manages to find her place within it. 

If you enjoyed The Girl with the Pearl Earring, then this would definitely be the book for you. It's already a contender for my book of the year!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment